For those who know me you would know that I’m a bit English and yes, I’m proud of it… I have, however, chosen to live and bring up my family in Adelaide. This has been a very conscious and deliberate decision. I believe Adelaide has so many great things going for it and it’s important we think that our size is an advantage. We can easily get around the place, meet people, share ideas, do business together, challenge each other to do more, all in a city that’s been recognised as one of the top five most liveable cities in the world.Adelaide has an incredible history of firsts. Here’s a few of them from a very long list:
- the first permanent weather bureau in Australia in 1856
- the first Australian Act (and second in the world) granting women the right to vote in 1894
- the first free public state high school in 1908
- the technology behind modern photocopying was invented in Adelaide in 1952
- the Australian Aboriginal Flag was first flown in Victoria Square in 1971
- the first legislation to make rape in marriage a criminal offence in the English speaking world was passed in Adelaide in 1976
- the first trial of driverless cars in the Southern Hemisphere is happening in November 2015.
All of these, and many more, started as a simple idea that someone had. Importantly each person had the belief and desire to do something with it and made something happen. This for me is what TEDx is about, taking an ideas and helping them to become real.
There is a side to Adelaide which frustrates me and I believe holds us back. I often hear locals putting our wonderful city down, looking for the negatives and generally wishing they were somewhere else. Sure, we have some very real challenges to work through, especially in our economy, but if we all take action on the ideas that come from our city I know we can overcome them.
Over the past few years I have met so many amazing people who are leading their chosen field, not just on the Australian stage but Internationally. I have observed that there’s a curious Adelaidian behaviour to not talk too much about these really inspiring people and their ideas. This is where TEDxAdelaide comes in… TEDxAdelaide2015 is about Discovering Adelaide and the Ideas Worth Spreading from here, Adelaide.
Over the coming weeks, before the event, I’ll be talking about how we’re putting together TEDxAdelaide, the speakers and their ideas and how to become engaged with these ideas.
If you have a great idea, or want to register for pre-release tickets then sign up to our mailing list.
Look forward to seeing you on the 21st of November at the Town Hall!
TEDx Adelaide 2015 Director